Comment on page
This page explains the role and constitution of the Executive Council, appointed by a Council Vote of the Open Council.
Executive Council members play a vital role in executing governance of Foundation's initiatives.
Some examples are below:
- 1.Amendments to the policies and directives of the Foundation's governance constitution.
- 2.the Maintaining the Foundation's legal existence and compliance with governing laws of the jurisdictions in which the Foundation and its affiliates are registered.
- 3.Ratification of Council Committee actions and member resolutions from the Foundation's open source communities.
- 4.Protection of the brand of the Foundation.
- 5.Appointment of members on several committees.
- 6.Appointment of officers of the Foundation.
- 7.Treasury Management
Executive Committee is an apex constitutional body and is constituted from the Foundation's Open Council and the member's appointment is an electoral process.
Appointment to the Executive Committee is conducted every two years through a General election.
About Nominations: A candidate may self nominate themselves for the membership to Executive Committee.Before a candidate files for nomination to the Executive Committee, following should be taken into consideration:
- 1.Candidates should already be serving on one of the organs of the Open Council, in the election year or in the preceeding year to the election.
- 2.Candidates should have demonstrated community consensus and have actively participated in Foundation's purposes and initiatives.
- 3.(For 2019-2022)Maximum number of candidate nominations are proportionate to the size of community. For each 100 community member, a single candidate nomination is applicable.E.g If there are 1000 members, then for an election year, not more than 10 nominations seat for Executive Committee may be filed.
Note: Each Council Committee appoints a single member(generally the Committee's Chair) to reserve a vote on whether to accept or reject a candidate's nomination.
This means that each Council Committee Chair naturally holds a Veto against a nomination.
Once a candidate's nominations achieve quorum with the Council committees, all nominations are then put to vote by the community.
On Election: Each community member has a single vote for a candidate's nomination.
The candidates who receive more than half of all votes registered by participating community members are then appointed to the Executive Committee.
After Election: The elected members of the Executive Committee shall then resolve to appoint a Chancellor amongst themselves.
A general guideline is to appoint a Chancellor with the highest number of votes received in the election.
About Chancellor of Open Constitution network:
a. A Chancellor is responsible for the direction of the Foundation's open-source initiatives.
b. Council Committees act as counsel to the Chancellor, well within each committee's guidelines roles.
c. A Chancellor is impeachable and if the Executive Committee decides then a Vice Chancellor may also be appointed.
The following are the causes that the Executive Council commits to:
a. Maintenance of the Foundation's infrastructure (funds, office, administrative, IT infrastructure etc.)as the Executive Council's primary function.
b. Welcome constructive observation of the Foundation's direction and value from the Observation and Ethics Council.
c. Welcome accelerated participation in the direction of the Foundation's vision from the Project Committees.
d. Welcome enforcement of rights of the Foundation's community in the form of a Legal Council.
e. Create Outreach in the form of a Media Council.
f. Welcome advice on the Foundation's direction in the form of an Advisory Council.